There’s a storm coming! Better make some soup!
In New York City, we’re getting all kinds of alerts and warnings that winter storm Niko is coming our way! This California girl is excited! Should I be out buying milk and bread right now? Yea? Oh well. At least I made soup. 🙂
Sometimes I browse Pinterest looking for recipes or just pictures of food that I would like to make someday (Pro weight loss tip: Don’t browse food and recipes on Pinterest when you’ve already finished consuming your calories for the day!). A while back, I came across a few different recipes for cheeseburger soup and it looked yummy! But when I looked at the ingredients, it called for velveeta. Ew… I don’t know about you, but I prefer real cheese just about any day, so I changed the recipe pretty substantially. Otherwise it came out really good! Soups in the winter are so comforting, and I love that it is a full meal in itself. Plus, I have leftovers for with which to weather the storm!
You might be wondering about the fat content here with such luxurious decadent ingredients, such as heavy cream. Frankly, I don’t worry about that and neither should you! The “fat makes you fat” myth has been busted for a while now. No need to fear the fat. Plus, it’s balanced out nicely with 36 grams of carbs and 35 grams of protein! This soup is actually pretty low carb to moderate carb, which is helpful for those with insulin resistance or PCOS (like moi). Weight loss is a function of the calories I consume being fewer than the calories I burn, so anything I want to eat can fit into my day. More to come on this philosophy in a future post! In the meantime, here’s my cheesy hamburger soup recipe!
Cheesy Hamburger Soup: (serves about 4)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) diced celery
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 15 oz. russet potatoes, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz. diced carrots
- 15 grams (2 Tbsp.) all-purpose flour
- 4.5 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (shredded or chopped)
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Brown the ground beef in a pot (at least 2.5 quart) on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- When beef is cooked through (no more pink), add garlic, onion, carrot, and celery. Let the veggies sweat in the mix with the beef for about 5 more minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a low boil.
- Simmer on low-medium, depending on your stove, for 20 minutes.
- Check potato for doneness. If potato will pierce easily with a fork, they’re done enough. If not, simmer for 5 more minutes and re-check.
- When potatoes are cooked through, spoon about 1/2 cup of the hot soup stock out of the pot into a small bowl. Add flour to bowl and mix thoroughly with spoon until no flour lumps remain.
- Add flour-stock slurry back to the soup.
- Add cheddar cheese and heavy cream. Stir.
- Continue to let it simmer for 3-5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Taste-test and add kosher salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition info per serving (approximate): 496 calories, 36g carbs, 22g fat, 35g protein, 4g fiber
No fad diets. No weigh loss pills. No embarrassing meetings. No punishing exercises.
This is an invitation… Come and see. I’ll be sharing my experience losing 70+ pounds, things I’ve learned, struggles I’ve overcame, my badly drawn comics (Tales from the Scale), and doing my best to provide priceless weight loss guidance along the way. I say “fuck" sometimes, just FYI.
Once or twice a week, you get an update with highlights, a comic or two, insights, and excerpts.
Go ahead and make it official.